- OBVIOUS Presents Dorion Renard’s Cover RevealPosted 24 days ago
- ‘UNLIKE’ Any Other. Interview with Fashion Designer Sven OeschPosted 37 days ago
- The Hunger Games – Only the Strong SurvivePosted 37 days ago
- Jada Pinkett Smith: An Open Letter to a FriendPosted 55 days ago
- The Model Issue: 6 Covers Representing New FacesPosted 68 days ago
Freelance Writers Wanted:
ObviousMag.com is looking for freelance writers with an entertaining and intelligent writing style to create content for its entertainment, travel, food/drink, home, books, auto, fashion, trends + buzz, and finance sections. In some cases, you may interview celebrities however this isn’t required. Editors will make a judgment call.
Candidates must be thorough researchers with writing experience and adept at backing up content with multiple reliable sources (whether online or through interviews). We’re looking for proactive writers who can pitch relevant and timely stories to our editors, as well as cover assigned stories. The ability to meet deadlines is crucial. Knowledge of AP Style is a plus.
Stories are generally 250 to 500 words (length is assigned).
Writers are compensated:
$25 for up to 355-word stories
$50 for up to 650-word stories.
OBVIOUS Magazine preparing for forthcoming print and iPad version coming May 2012. OBVIOUS Magazine is a bi-monthly publication.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in English or Journalism or 2-3 years publication/editorial writing experience
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to write to a high standard
- Being a self-starter with strong interviewing and reporting skills
- Ability to adhere to strict deadlines and work well under pressure
- Knowledge of advanced search techniques and familiarity with a variety of databases
- Excellent communication and organizational skills and the ability to work on several stories at once
If interested, please email your resume and 2-3 samples (preferably with a style similar to that of OBVIOUS Magazine) to email@example.com. In the body of your email, let us know in 100 words why you feel you are a great fit for our publication.
Art Director | Editorial Designer Needed
We’re looking for a very talented/creative editorial designer to design our magazine from cover to back cover (including the inside). The designer will be solely responsible for the entire magazine layout and help with overall design of publication. Magazine is 192+4 and 75% fashion/lifestyle editorials.
Our magazine is web-based however we’re adding print, PDF and tablet versions Spring/Summer 2012 (May/June 2012).
Applicant can work from home. We’re a boutique publication.
Great communication needed to insure deadlines and needs for magazine are met.
We’re currently based in Los Angeles, California. We will be bi-coastal as of June 2012. Our drive and dedication for magazine design and presentation is cutting edge, high fashion and Euro.
Our magazine is bi-monthly.
Salary: $5 – $10 per page
Job Requirements: Motivated self-starter with the ability to come in and hit the ground running. – Solid consumer magazine design experience (3-5 years+) is required. – Ability to take and proactively respond to creative feedback is essential. – You’ll be responsible for designing bi-monthly departments and some feature layouts including: stock research, chart/graph creation, and brainstorming ideas to repackage information in new and interesting ways while maintaining current brand standards. – You should be very familiar with and currently using CS4-CS5.
This position works directly with the Creative Director.
How to Apply: Please send a PDF of 5 samples of your work or a link to your portfolio website along with your resume to jerris [at] obviousmag.com. Applicant will be asked to design 3 test layouts (if he/she meet requirements). This will allow us to see their design esthetic and prove they are the right fit for our publication.