SpiritHoods prides itself on being dedicated to celebrating life and connection to self, the animal kingdom – a truly sustainable brand.
According to StartUp Fashion: “Sustainable Fashion” is and what it isn’t:
- Sustainable isn’t the same as ethical, although a brand can be both.
- When it comes to sustainability, you’re talking about how a brand impacts the environment.
- Ethical fashion, on the other hand, concerns moral issues such as working conditions and the welfare of animals, which is super important, too!
- Some of the most sustainable materials are those that last so that they can be replaced less often. How “sustainable” would it be to have to replace your favorite work shirt after only a month or two?
- Some sustainable materials include natural fibers like hemp, linen, and cotton.
- Sustainable fashion should also consider the use of natural resources like water, energy, and land. The apparel industry already creates 8% of the world’s greenhouse gas emissions.
- It also often makes use of renewable energy sources, like solar and wind power.
As consumers, it is vital to support more sustainable brands and small businesses because it strengthens our economy and empowers business owners.
Bravo for supporting organizations in supporting endangered animals. Why was this important to you as a brand?
SpiritHoods: We created SpiritHoods with a mission to support the very animals we draw our inspiration from. We’re inspired by the animal kingdom’s majesty and the challenges the natural world is experiencing because humanity is something we felt we had a responsibility to face head on and devote energy to as a brand.
SpiritHoods designs are both festive and stylish. Was this on purpose?
SpiritHoods: Absolutely! We design based on our brand pillars of self-expression and community and attempt to create products that help us embody that wild and playful side of ourselves. Though we started in festival fashion, we eventually evolved our designs to nurture that expression of our wild side within the urban jungle of city life.
Who is your ideal client and demographic?
SpiritHoods: Our ideal customer is looking to be a little more self-expressive and playful and who have a desire to express their wild side and have just a bit more fun!
2020 has forced all of us to rethink our business practices. What changes did you implement to prepare you for 2021?
SpiritHoods: We have focused on our core competency and doubled down on new developments within categories like Home Goods and launching our first Pet line (coming in January). We also focus primarily on our online business and have begun investing in additional strategies to further our online functionality and opportunities within other e-commerce platforms.
Dream client(s) you would love to rock your designs?
SpiritHoods: We have a lot on the wish list! Many of whom are in music as it’s a natural fit for self-expression and the wildness of character we hold so dearly as a brand… plus music is everything!
We are dedicating January/February to ‘Self-Love.’ As a brand, how do you incorporate this into your company and staff?
SpiritHoods: A healthy lifestyle and work-life balance is a significant focus for us in the ‘self-love’ category. We encourage good communication and self-expression as well.
We have impromptu book discussions on self-help authors like Eckhart Tolle and Byron Katie, classes on healthy eating, and encourage staff to speak up for the things they’d like to see us do as a collective embody our core value of community.